The Ultimate Attraction

It appears that things have been quiet on the advertising front this week due to my lack of blogging! Alas, this is not true, I have seen many an advert i've wanted to discuss, however, university coursework has been taking over my life. *cue the violins*

Anyway, during a conversation with one of my friends yesterday following the watching of some viral ads, he decided to show me a print ad from 2002 that has always stuck in his mind. It was a BMW advert that I'd never seen, or at least don't remember seeing (I was 14 at the time and had little interest in cars), and I am so glad it was shown to me! Look at this:

Source: http://www.coloribus.com/adsarchive/prints/unknownadvertiser-the-ultimate-attraction-4426105/


Isn't that just brilliant? Albeit perhaps a little sexist but it's a well known stereotype that men like women and cars, and here BMW bring together the best of both worlds! But of course, the attraction of a beautiful car outweighs the attraction of a beautiful woman. Perhaps, as a woman, I should be offended by this? But you know what? I'm really not. I actually find it pretty hilarious. I personally think it would be more derogatory if it was a woman on top looking at an open mag about household appliances - now that would be sexist. Oh the joys of rubber gloves. Puh-lease.

It's a great ad because you don't immediately notice the car magazine and therefore may think it's an ad for aftershave or perfume (as they are usually particularly provocative). There's no information about the actual car as such, and therefore it is presumed that BMW are almost reliant on the theory that 'sex sells', as the primary reason as to why the public would even look twice at the ad.

Still doesn't make me want to buy a BMW unfortunately though. I severely dislike BMW drivers, though of course this is nothing directly against the brand. Perhaps it's adverts like this that attracts the utter *insert bad word here*'s that give BMW drivers such a bad rep. 

Oh well, put your foot down and think of England, I guess.

2 comments:

  1. I think you might need to reevaluate your ideas on the definition of sexist. You might try spending more time defending equality of the sexes and less time hating on people because of the type of car they drive. As a BMW driver and a woman I’m not sure if it’s more offensive to think that you don’t find this advertisement sexist (a further reinforce of gender stereotypes) or the fact that you think you can “severely dislike” someone just because they drive a BMW.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a version floating about somewhere where the woman is on top and the BMW print ad covers the man's face.
    I haven't been able to locate it, but when I do I will put it online again...

    ReplyDelete